Post-Game Notes and Quotes - Game 2
San Jose Sharks Postgame Quotes:
Head Coach Todd McLellan: "The catalyst was [Desjardins] line. They got us going and everybody followed. You need that to have success. Success is only two games. We have got a lot left but you need to have everybody stirring the drink if you will."
Todd McLellan (on line strategy): "They had us running around a little bit with some of the line match-ups. They obviously scrambled it and I didn't like the way it was going in our end, we needed something else, and I decided to make that change. Whether it stays there or not, who knows."
Joe Thornton: "It's going to take all 20 guys that suit up and we realized that and where we want to go everybody is going to have to be a leader throughout the playoff."
Joe Thornton (on coming from behind): "Coming in we felt like we had some good scoring chances, we were down 2-0 and we just thought 'Don't let them get another goal' if we keep them at two we truly believed that we could get three to win the game."
Joe Pavelski: "We wanted to come out, we wanted to be on the attack, we sat back last time we had the lead."
Joe Pavelski (referencing Game 1, third period): "I think any third period you want to play good in your home building and we didn't do that. Even with the score being 5-0 you got to put a better effort than we did. You got to learn, you'd like to say we learned but if we find ourselves in that opportunity again, we have to play the part."
Logan Couture: "Nobody panicked, the coaching staff, the players, everyone, we knew that if we kept playing the way we were playing that we would score some goals and we were able just score seven unanswered."
Andrew Desjardins: "I think in the first there we were kind of laid back but the last two periods we were more aggressive and I think that definitely helped get under their skin and get in their face more."
Raffi Torres: "Last year was tough. I felt like I was in pretty good shape and coming into a new team I was excited to get playing but obviously we all know what happened but that's all in the past and now I just look at the upcoming games and what I can do contribute."
Mike Brown: "Every time we step on the ice that's our role, to get the momentum and bring the physicality into the game so regardless if we are up or down we are still going to play the same way and all three of us know what we need to do and what kind of game we have to play and that's what we were doing."
Los Angeles Kings Postgame Quotes:
Head Coach Darryl Sutter: "I think probably the Sheppard line and the third line dominated the second period. And we didn't have an answer for that."
Darryl Sutter (on this year compared to last year): "They finished higher in the standings I think by 10 points. So obviously that gives them home ice, which is so important."
Dustin Brown: "Don't know if it was one thing in particular. We gave up a lot of odd man rushes again. In the first, we got up two nothing but they had lots of good chances. We need all 20 guys to be on top of their game"
Dustin Brown (on Sharks 4th line): "When their 4th line can have that big of an impact on the game, we have to have a response. And we didn't have a response from anybody."
Robyn Regehr: "If we're not playing the way that we're supposed to, getting the coverage that we're supposed to, these things are going to happen. We really firm that up in a hurry because this team is strong on the rush."
Notes from the home team:
SHARKS TEAM NOTES:
• San Jose set a new playoff record for most goals at home with seven.
• The Sharks broke their record for most consecutive goals for in a playoff game with seven.
• The Sharks tied their record for most goals for in a period with four.
• San Jose also tied their record for widest margin of victory in a home playoff game with five.
• The Sharks set a new playoff record for most points in a playoff game with 19.
• 12 different Sharks players earned points in tonight's contest.
SHARKS PLAYER NOTES:
• Marc-Edouard Vlasic now ranks 3rd on the Sharks all-time playoff games list with 81 games played. He surpassed former Sharks teammate, Evgeni Nabokov.
• Mike Brown scored his first career playoff goal and set a game-high record with eight hits. He now has four career playoff points (1-3=4), and two points in the 2014 playoffs (1-1=2).
• Andrew Desjardins, Dan Boyle, and Matt Nieto each received two assists on the night.
• Raffi Torres, Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau all scored their second goal of the 2014 playoffs.
• Justin Braun scored his first career playoff goal.
• James Sheppard recorded an assist on the Braun goal. He now has three assists in the 2014 playoffs.
• Joe Pavelski scored his first goal of the 2014 playoffs to go along with his two assists on the night.
• Logan Couture scored his first goal of the 2014 playoffs and added an assist on the Marleau goal.