Bakin' with Beckster! Vol. 3
Top of the morning to you friends!
“Breakfast: The most important meal of the day.”
We’ve all heard this statement at some point throughout our lives. However, many of us glaze over the importance of it because we get caught up in the chaos of our morning to-do’s or we’d simply rather stay cozy under the covers for that extra 15 minutes of sleep rather than use the time to prepare a healthy breakfast. Over the last 5 weeks, I wake up Monday morning and find myself weighed down with the upcoming expectations of the week. A traditional day for me consists of school, homework, rehearsal, homework, workout, homework – maybe some time in between to eat. Recently, I’ve learned how truly important breakfast is and how much I rely on those extra few minutes in the morning to organize my day.
Most of us have a routine in the morning that sets the pace for the rest of our day. Just setting aside an extra 15 minutes for the sake of preparing a healthy, nutritionally satisfying meal can make all the difference in how you take on the day. It’s very tempting to turn to the convenience of a nutrient-deficient meal to fill our tummies. Unfortunately, more often than not, we’re consuming empty calories that will not sustain us throughout the day. Coming from someone who used to live off of a protein bar and an energy drink in the morning - I’m here to say that since I’ve committed to consuming a healthy and substantial breakfast I’ve discovered more pep in my step, increased brain power, and sustained stamina throughout my day.
On the topic of starting your day off right – I’d like to share with you one of my favorite breakfast recipes that’s easy to make, quick to prepare, will fill your tummy with savory flavors and quality ingredients, and more importantly sustain your energy level throughout the morning.
Now let’s wipe the sleepys out of our eyes & get to cookin’!
Savory Scrambled Egg Toasties
8 pieces of sourdough bread (cut crust off until bread is trimmed to 4 in. x 4 in.)
6 Eggs, well blended
2 tablespoons of olive oil – to baste cups & bread
1/4 Cup sour cream
1/2 Cup of sun-dried tomatoes
1/8 Cup of goat cheese
1/4 Cup of green onion
1/2 tablespoon of oregano
1/2 tablespoon of basil
1/2 tablespoon rosemary
1/2 large avocado – place one slice on top of each cup
1/4 cup cheddar cheese (soy, almond, or dairy –whatever fits your fancy)
Add salt and pepper (to desired liking)
(You’ll need a Cupcake pan too)
Prep n’ Toast Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time (eggs): 7 minutes, approximately
*Just double the recipe if you’d like to make a larger batch for a brunch party
1. Wash hands
2. Preheat oven @ 375◦F
3. Cut crust off of each piece of bread until it’s approximately 4 inches by 4 inches square
4. Grease cup cake pan with olive oil
5. Brush oil onto top side of each bread square
6. Firmly press bread square into cupcake pan to form bread-cups
7. Place oiled bread cups in oven to bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown (see image #1)
8. Prepare sun-dried tomatoes and green onions by slicing into small pieces
9. Blend 6 eggs (or 10 if you’d like to substitute for all egg whites)
10. Add goat cheese, sour cream, oregano, basil, and rosemary into blender
11. Once the egg mix is well blended, scramble eggs in a greased pan
12. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and green onions when the scrambled eggs begin to firm up
13. Once eggs are fully cooked, remove from heat and cover to keep warm
14. Remove bread cups from oven
15. Scoop scrambled eggs into each cup (see image #2)
16. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of each individual cup
17. Place cups back in oven for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted
18. Cut avocado into thin slices, place one slice on top of melted cheese
19. Serve immediately (see image #3)
20. Enjoy one or two – or maybe more than a few!